You know those annoying little knots usually found at the end of your hair which appear from NOWHERE?! Those knots are called single strand knots or fairy knots.
As frustrating as they are, fairy knots are a sign that your hair is growing 🙂
They are often a result of your hairstyle, a lack of moisture or… just having curly hair. You can’t get rid of single strand knots completely unless you trim them. But there are few techniques you can use to reduce fairy knots, including:
– sealing your hair to keep your hair moisturised. Fairy knots love dry hair!
– oil rinsing: it is excellent for conditioning your mane. After washing your hair, saturate your strands with your favourite oil and let it sit, under a plastic cap, for 45 minutes. Then, detangle with your fingers or a wide tooth comb and rinse with hot water. Apply your regular conditioner and rinse.
– using protective hairstyles. Styles like afros and wash and gos increase your chances of having knots. On the other hand, hairstyles like updos, twists and crochet braids are great alternative options.
– stretching your hair: straighter hair tends to be less prone to fairy knots. For those who don’t want to apply heat on their hair, check out simplycre8eve’s tutorial.
– trimming your ends. This solution is radical however you have to use protective styles and seal your hair properly.
What are your methods to reduce single strand knots?