With all the products available on the market and us naturalistas not being able to fit into a ‘one-size-fits-all’ hair regime, wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t have to rely on any products at all?!
A vlogger by the name of WaterOnlyHairWash (YouTube) has shown us a way of backing away from the hoards of products we have and shows us how to rely on a technique which only involves the use of our own natural hair oil (sebum) to moisturise and style our hair.
Having tried this technique myself for a week, here are my observations:-
- There was little to no hair left in the shower/comb afterwards
- The naturals curls were more defined
- The hair felt completely moisturised
- The hair was much softer than before
- Twist/Braid Outs were very defined considering there was no product used
- The hair dried extremely quickly – roots drying fastest
- Having to massage your scalp/tedious daily is very
- The hair smelled like a bland oil but take into account I only did it for a week
- Washing the hair daily in the initial stages
- Not enough slick for the edges – yes I cheated with a little bit of EcoStyler #Don’tJudgeMe lol
- Personally, there was less flexibility for me to style my hair how I normally would
I would highly recommend you trying this method, just to see the difference it can make to your hair.
I personally did not continue for a long period of time, as I had to take a small trip and was not prepared to water wash only in 36 degree heat but, the thought of never having to rely on a hair product again is rather appealing.